The lakes are NE of Mappowder about a quarter of a mile outside of the village. GR 50.85736663111663, -2.3706653149439414
Mappowder offers stillwater fishing in a beautiful tranquil location throughout the year. While fishing quietly in your swim a roe deer may come to graze along the bank or a barn owl could float silently past in the evening light. There are 2 main larger lakes, Spring Lake which is adjacent to the car park and Pheasant Lake which is about 300 yds along the path from the back of the car park. There are 2 small lakes which have been renovated just beyond Spring Lake.
The lakes contain Crucian/Crucian cross to 2lb, Common Carp to 18lb, Grass Carp to 8lb_, Tench to 4lb, Eels 3lb, Roach 2lb, Rudd to 1lb, Perch to 2lb, Bream to 3lb, Gudgeon and eels.
The lakes are not very deep, averaging 6 to 8ft. Pole or quivertip will all yield results.
Note there are several site-specific rules for Mappowder which are listed here:
- Members only, no day tickets issued. Junior members to be accompanied by an adult.
- Anglers must be in possession of a current Environment Agency rod licence.
- Fishing allowed only between sunrise and sunset.
- No camping, fires or dogs.
- The gate giving access to the fishery from the public highway is to be opened only for access and egress.
- Anglers must produce their permit to any other identifiable member or the landowner or his agent on request.
- Keepnets to be dipped in the sanitizing bath before fishing.
- No carp to be kept in keepnets except in matches and, in that case, separate nets are to be used for carp and silver fish.
- Two rods may be used but they must be placed no more than 1 metre apart and NEVER left unattended when baited
- Barbless hooks only to be used.
- A maximum of 1kg of ground bait (if any) to be used per session.
- No nut hook bait (eg tiger nuts) to be used.
- No surface baits to be used. The use of alternative rigs such as zig-rigs and waggler fishing which allow a bait to be presented near to but not on the surface is permitted. The purpose of this restriction is to prevent the hooking of any waterfowl and is in keeping with the rules at many other Stillwater fisheries.
- All fish in the lakes are the property of S&HAA and no fish are to be removed from the fishery. All American signal crayfish are to be despatched immediately, they shall not be returned to the water or transported alive from the fishery.
- NO LITTER of any kind is to be left.
- These rules are subject to amendment at any time conditional on agreement between the landowner and the S&HAA committee. Any angler found breaking the rules will be liable to dismissal from the Association after due consideration by the committee.
Parking & Access
From Sturminster Newton take the road to Hazelbury Bryan via Glue Hill and then Pleck Hill to Mappowder and Stoke Lane. The entrance to the lakes is via a gate on your right in Stokes Lane. Always close the gate behind you after entering or leaving the car park.
There is plenty of dedicated SHAA car parking.
SAT NAV Postcode : DT10 2EL (note – this is Mappowder village)
- Common Carp